Category Archives: Experimental Printmaking

IPE 2014

To challenge myself to produce an edition, I entered the International Print Exchange run by Green Door Printmaking, Derby. I entered a small drypoint developed from looking at Morandi’s work and described here. You submit an edition of 10 prints, … Continue reading

Posted in Experimental Printmaking, Printmaking 1 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Japanese Printmaking Course

I have spent an exhausting but rewarding couple of days learning traditional Japanese printmaking with Laura Boswell hosted by the RHS at Wisley. Laura started the course with an extremely interesting introduction to the history of Japanese woodblock printing explaining … Continue reading

Posted in Experimental Printmaking, Printmaking 1 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Copper Sulphate Etching

The opportunity offered for a two day course in etching aluminium plate using copper sulphate. Firstly we divided a plate up into three areas. I the first we did an exposure strip, exposing a section every 10 or 15 seconds … Continue reading

Posted in Experimental Printmaking, Morandi Project, Part 4 Collagraphs, Printmaking 1 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Woodcut Mark Making – Unfinished Business

I wanted to return to wood cut following my experiments in waterbased Japanese style woodcut,  to try more expressive marks and use oil based inks. I returned to a design I developed for a linocut, but didn’t print because I … Continue reading

Posted in Combined Woodcuts, Experimental Printmaking, Part 3 Advanced and Experimental Relief Prints, Part 4 Collagraphs, Printmaking 1 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Project 11 – Creating Texture with a Blow Torch

With summer and the possibility of working outside, I was offered the opportunity of a one day workshop making a plate using plywood and a blow torch. Firstly, we prepared a plate using: 1.5mm plywood scored and cracked apart tile … Continue reading

Posted in Experimental Printmaking, Printmaking 1, Project 11 - Creating Texture with a Blow Torch | Tagged , , , , , | 4 Comments

Project 10 – Experimental Relief Prints – Woodcut

This project gave me a chance to further explore Japanese Woodblock. To this purpose, I have bought: set of Japanese tools more faced ply from Intaglio a pad of Hosho from Intaglio a wide, high quality decorators brush. To learn … Continue reading

Posted in Experimental Printmaking, Part 3 Advanced and Experimental Relief Prints, Printmaking 1, Project 10 - Experimental Relief Prints | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Making an Artist’s Book

My tutor suggested that I consider developing my monoprints using natural stencils and acrylic paints printed off a gelatine sheet. I have been thinking about how to produce something which didn’t just hang on a wall. These two ideas have … Continue reading

Posted in Experimental Printmaking, Printmaking 1 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment